Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The "Joy" of the LORD?

So this is the first official blog on the site I have written, congrats to me right? So anyway something that has been plaguing me for the past few years is the "joy" of the LORD, or the lack thereof. About two years ago I began my journey as a Starbucks barista. As a barista I got the opportunity to talk with all sorts of interesting people. I worked at one of the busiest stores in my area so my sphere of people was huge. Throughout my experience I began to see a pattern in the people, and started asking myself one question, why is it that the people who are supposed to have the "joy" of the LORD have less joy than the people who don't know Christ at all? Why are the "non" Christians often happier than the Christians? I mean aren't there promises in scripture about life and life to the full, and how about the fruit of the spirit? This poses a lot of questions to me, are God's promises not true? The Psalmist wrote "Sing joyfully to the LORD, you righteous;it is fitting for the upright to praise him. 2 Praise the LORD with the harp;make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song;play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true;he is faithful in all he does. The LORD loves righteousness and justice;the earth is full of his unfailing love." For the word of the LORD is right and true he is faithful in all he does. Do we really believe that? Why do the servers avoid the "Sunday Church Crowd"? Why are the Christians the mean customers? Has God not fulfilled his promise to us, or is our perspective all wrong? See I think it's the latter of the two. I think that we as Christians often have the wrong mentality about Jesus. We think that it's McChurch, all we have to do is say a number or shout a meal and we get whatever we want. When God doesn't work like that we get angry. I don't know if I have the answer to this. I do know that the promises of God are that we will have life if we only follow Jesus and give him our lives. I know that the promises of Christ are true. It is my belief that we don't need a new Christ, a new church, but a new kind of Chrstian. We need to be more like Christ, and I don't know exactly what that looks like apart from Loving God and loving people like Jesus would. So, may you understand that we have a God that IS love and his promises are true and will be fulfilled.
Peace be with you

No comments:

The random rantings of a crazed youth pastor

Blog Archive