Monday, March 9, 2009

If I had a Nickel

If I had a nickel for every time a Christian said these words "You're just judging me" I would be a millionaire. Each time I have heard these words they have come from someone who is in the middle of a pretty obvious sin. I have never heard it ome from someone who is genuinely following Christ with everything that they are. I mean, let's get real, when you are following Christ with your whole heart, there is nothing to hide. I have been on the other end as well. I have been on the end of feeling judged, but it was only my own conviction that has done the judging. I have never, at least to my own knowledge, judged another believer in the way they think. Isn't there a huge difference between judging and sharing truth? I think so. I came accross this interesting verse in 2 Corinthians where Paul is writing a response to something that obviously convicted the Corinthian church. They were feeling judged and like Paul was trying to make them feel guilty. They started talking about him behind his back and telling others just how terrible he was. His response was the response I hope to have with all of my friends and family that need the truth, but are convicted on their own. He says "Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done." 2 Cor 6:8-11 Paul was saying that whatever it was he sent to them caused them grief. It caused them to think about their lives and quite frankly it ticked them off. He shows no sorrow because he says that this sorrow led them into repentance and that leads to salvation! Brilliant! Why can't we as Christians see that when someone shares truth with us they are trying to open up our hearts and our eyes to what the Lord is truly trying to do in their lives? If we are going to walk this planet as Jesus followers, we are going to mess up. When we mess up we are going to need brothers and sisters to come in and share truth in our lives! My brothers and sisters may you open up your heart and your soul to what your brothers and sisters are saying. Take heed to the conviction of God. Don't run from God, but to God with open arms!!! May the grace and peace of Christ be with you!

No comments:

The random rantings of a crazed youth pastor

Blog Archive