Saturday, July 25, 2009

Uganda and Beyond

I'm sitting on my couch, in my apartment living room, on my computer, staring at my T.V, and thinking about the 8x8 shacks that we encountered in Africa. These "homes" would not even be suitable for our pets to live in here in America, but people live in these conditions...

Heart breaking.

Convicting.

Why do I have so much and they have nothing? Better yet, why do WE have so much yet think we need more? These are question that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I hope.

I want to be asking these questions. I want to have my heart break for the things that break God's heart. I have only been home for a few short weeks and I can feel the memories of what we saw, smelled, and experienced fading into a distant past...

I titled this blog Uganda and Beyond because I wanted to share some thoughts on Uganda and what I have learned. I asked every one of my students on the trip to tell me what they learned. Not, "I'm gonna be more grateful for what I have" but what God genuinely taught them. Now, it's my turn. We are beyond Uganda and I'm ready to share it with the world.

Uganda was amazing.

I fully expected to come home and want to sell all my possessions and give it to the poor. I thought for sure the things I witnessed would be too overwhelming to come home to. What happened? Well, I'm glad you asked.

I came home on fire.

Not on fire for any one place. Not Africa, not Uganda, but people. More importantly students. What I witnessed in Africa was a group of people who genuinely prayed believing God for miracles, and guess what? They see them. They truly and whole-heartedly believe that God is their provider no matter how destitute they are. Everything was passionate and it was on fire for Jesus.

I came home convicted.

Not as much over spending, but over passion. We have more resources, talent, and ability in the American church to be radically changing the world, yet we are passionless. I was passionless. We sit on our hands and watch the world fade. We watch our families and friends fall further and further into the oblivion that will be eternity for them without Christ.

I came home on fire to see a generation rise up and take it's place as world-transformers.

I am ready to take a stand with my students at RHCC and begin taking ground in a long time losing battle with Satan. It's time for us to see a generation that will rise that will not lift up our eyes to false idols, but to trust in Jesus. It's time for us to change the world.

I came home ready to see the students at Rolling Hills, my leaders, and the rest of the congregation madly in love with Jesus and ready to take a stand for him! God did a lot in my heart, my mind, and my soul over the past few months. Won't you join me in helping Jesus transform this generation.

May the grace and peace of Christ be with you


Branden <><

1 comment:

Dale said...

Branden,

One of the things I've found - multiple times - is that people have told me "you can't feel guilty over what you have here. God has given you what you have and you can't feel guilty about it."

When I first heard that, I wanted to scream at them "How can I NOT feel guilty about it?!" But after a little more reflection, I came to the conclusion that maybe "guilty" is the wrong word. Determined is better. No, I don't think I'm interested in bringing the people of Africa up to the material level of those in the US - to make them bored and apathetic like so many of us are. But I am burdened to do something with what God taught me.

And it sounds like you are too. God bless you, my Brother.

The random rantings of a crazed youth pastor

Blog Archive